Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Green Lantern Movie Review

So I  haven't done a movie review in AGES so I may be a little rusty.

“In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might, Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!

For those of you who aren't familiar with the comic (made by DC) of the same name it's basically about a group of people who were recruited by the Guardians of the Universe who use the green essence of willpower to form the intergalactic police force called the Green Lantern Corps (you can find more info here). 

Now I for one haven't read the comics, I have only heard of the green lantern from the Justice League cartoon, so walking into this movie I knew absolutely nothing about the plot or story line. In this movie we follow the main character, Hal Jordan (played by Ryan Reynolds), and we watch how he gets chosen by the green lantern ring (*Abin Sur's ring), how he becomes the green lantern, and the difficulties he has to go through before becoming a true green lantern. All while trying to save his planet from Parallax, which is a fear-essence being who has broken out of his prison and is destroying not only planets but killing other green lanterns in the process.

I won't go in too much into the movie cause really I would recommend you to watch it, it's a pretty good movie, of course it's not as good as "Thor" and "Dark Knight" but it's still a good watch. The animation and graphics are amazing, there are serious moments, sad moments and even cheesy moments that will have you laughing so hard (I know I was). However, that being said, there is a flaw that I found, like I said before I have never read the comics so I was pretty new to the whole story line and plot. One thing that bugged me while watching the movie was the green lantern's names, cause there is a few green lanterns that get referred to in the movie and for someone who is new to the movie and comic, the names can get confusing at times. One part I did like about the movie however, was the beginning where they tell you the story of how the Green Lantern Corps came to be and I found that they explained it quite well, so even for a newbie like me I wounldn't be totally lost.

I think they couldn't have found a better person to play Hal Jordan as the green lantern. Ryan Reynolds played the role very well. I don't think anyone else could have made a better Hal Jordan, he did a good job protraying the various emotions without over-exaggerating them. Now this may be my little bias since I am quite fond of him as an actor and I have liked all the movies I've seen him in.

Overall, this movie was filled with humour and action and really gives you a background story on the green lantern. It shows you the hardships it took for Hal Jordan, a human, to prove himself to all the other green lanterns and show that just cause he is a human he isn't weaker than the other green lanterns (all the green lanterns are from other planets, he was the first human green lantern). 

Also, a little tip, make sure you stay till AFTER the credits. 

Rating: ★★★★☆ (4.5 stars - the names really got me confused)

*Abin Sur is the green lantern who imprisoned Parallax, who is later wounded by the Parallax and lands on earth where he commands his ring to find a worthy successor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment